UWA Judo Club offers judo classes for all ages and skill levels:
A Typical Club Lesson
The club lesson starts with a bow. This consists of all judo players lining up in grade order with the dan grades (black belts) on the opposite side of the mat. When the instructor is ready the students and dan grades bow to each other and the class begins.
Everybody is warmed up by performing various judo related exercises and stretching. Each student is required to perform a sequence of breakfalls. The art of breakfalling is practiced to ensure students know how to protect themselves when thrown.
The class is now ready to learn techniques the instructor has planned for the lesson. Once the class becomes competent with a technique, students will be shown variations, counters and combinations to and from the technique. This is where core judo is developed.
Students and dan grades then enter into free practice (randori) where they attempt to use the techniques they have learnt. Randori is used to develop the ability to perform grappling, throws and groundwork techniques against an opponent.
To end the class, warm down exercises and stretches are performed. Finally the class closes with same bow that was performed at the start of the lesson. This is a final mark of respect between the dan grades and students.
|Sunday morning 10am to 11am||Sunday morning 11am to 12.30pm||Tuesday evenings 6pm to 7pm|
|Tuesday evenings 6pm to 7pm||Wednesday evenings 7pm to 8:30pm (invitation only)|
|Friday evenings 7pm to 8:30pm (invitation only)|
|Saturday afternoon 2pm to 4pm|
|Thursday evenings (beginners and intermediate) 6pm to 7pm||Tuesday evenings 7pm to 9pm|
|Saturday afternoon (all levels including beginners) 4pm to 5:30pm||Wednesday evenings 5:30pm to 7pm (invitation only)|
|Thursday evenings 7pm to 8:30pm|
|Friday evenings 5:30pm to 7pm (invitation only)|
|Saturday afternoon 4pm to 5:30pm|
- UWA Student - $10.00 per lesson
- Club Member - $12.00 per lesson
- Non Member - $15.00 per lesson
- UWA Student - $40.00 per month
- Club Member - $60.00 per month
- Club Membership - $60.00 per year
- Judo WA Membership - $60.00 per year
Judo has a reasonably relaxed etiquette compared to many other martial arts. Below are a few basic rules that need to be followed.
- Come to training with clean feet and clothing
- Arrive early to allow time to change and tape up
- Keep your finger and toenails clean and cut short
- All cuts and wounds need to be covered up
- Do not come to training if sick or contagious
- Remove all jewellery before training
- Long hair must be tied back
- Footwear must be worn to the side of the mat
- Bow before training with your partner
- Bow after training with your partner
- Always listen to your coach's instructions
- Let the senior instructor or coach know if you need to leave the mat
- Treat each other with respect